Negotiating has been described as a dance.
Two parties each with its own issues and desires…Some of these are clear and obvious and others are hidden or obscure. The business of a negotiation is to satisfy the issues of both parties at the same time…thus the dance.
The Basic steps are:
- Buyer writes his desires in an offer.
- Realtor presents that offer to the seller.
- Seller writes his desires in a counter-offer.
- Buyer writes a counter…Seller…Buyer…Seller
- …Until it’s done.
Just as with dancing, the skill is not in knowing the basic steps, but how you do them, embellish, follow and lead.
It takes skill to:
- Learn what the hidden or obscure desires are.
- Find out what makes things important.
- Know the local market realities and presenting them with skill and consideration.
- Find alternatives that will satisfy one person’s desires without crushing the other person’s.
- Craft an arrangement that satisfies everyone.
When it is successful, we open escrow.